Monday, January 19, 2009

A Recipe Worth Saving

Last night my motherinlaw came to have dinner with her son and me. As she most always does, she brought something to add to the meal. In our very fortunate case last night, it was her pecan pie. Now let me tell you her pecan pies are legendary. There are many bakers out there but it is the little extra secrets that make hers stand head and shoulders above all others.

When my father-in-law was alive, during Christmas I was visiting. It had been a day of baking and cooking at their home, Mamaw had produced several pecan pies that were stored in the unlikely place at the time, the pie safe. Now originally these cupboards were called that because food storage was at a premium in most kitchens. Mamaw had used hers to store linens and items unrelated to food. Except this day when my fatherinlaw summoned me to come and see where the blue-ribboned pies were waiting for us. There was only one other person who loved her pies as much as I did and that was Pop. That day we had a secret that only we knew. I was fortunate to be in on the pie-hiding caper.

I can never eat a pecan pie without remembering those special times at my inlaws home. Mamaw wrote down the recipe one more time and added her little tips for a delicious success.
My motherinlaw's handwriting (age 85) is exactly the correct penmanship that we were all taught but few mastered. Her recipes are even more special because of that. If you want a wonderful (not on your diet) pecan pie to bake only on special occasions I will happily share.

Here's to tried and true recipes to delight any palate.....

Pecan Pie----

1 cup sugar
1 cup light Karo syrup
3 lg. eggs
2 tbsp. butter (not margerine)
2 tbsp. flour (plain)
1 T vanilla
1 pie crust
1 1/2 cups toasted pecans (if toasted they are easier to cut small)

Mix eggs. sugar, karo, butter. Add flour. Mix until mixed well. Add vanilla. Add pecans. Fold in to mixture. Add to pie crust.

Bake @425 for 15 min. Then at 325 til browned and set in middle when touched lightly with finger maybe 30 min.

LET COOL & grab a glass of milk and test before giving it to your company. (that is my suggestion)

1 comment:

  1. I love pecan pies and have never made one!! I will definately have to give this one a shot!

    ReplyDelete