Saturday, January 10, 2009

Imagination Runs Amuck or Wild

When I was a little girl about 3 or 4 I had two imaginary friends. Their names were Peano and Clooney. They were my constant companions and are a part of my life to this day. Not that I am talking to them and all that, but when I think of that imaginary play time I had as a child, it is comforting to remember something that brought me so much pleasure. As an adult I have read about imginary friends and what positive benefits it can bring to a child. Now my granddaughter is constantly in an imaginary world of play when she is by herself. She does not like to be disturbed or interrupted either. Her world is her own and she would not let Peano or Clooney invade it.

Years ago my husband and I owned an inn that we had built after I had a very wild hair to operate one. We named one of the rooms after my friends Peano and Clooney. After telling our guests the meaning behind the bedroom's name they would play along with me and come downstairs the next morning filled with wild stories about the antics of my friends. Laughter would start and we honestly could hear Peano & Clooney giggling hysterically.

I guess what all this mean is that I have not or will ever grow up completely. But that's O.K. If Jordan Ann lets me into her imaginary world, I just might introduce her to Peano & Clooney.

3 comments:

  1. oh my how fun are you?! i love that you are blogging and telling your story! i'll have to share that concept with my own mom. enjoy yourself! have it printed when you hit certain 'milestones' - that's my advice. what a legacy for jack and jordan ann...and the others as they come along ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have LOVED to have stayed in your inn! It is a constant state of imaginary play around here, I never know what Sam has seen or is talking to at any given moment. I love seeing his creative side blossoming daily!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Peano and Clooney we said hello!

    ReplyDelete