Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Friends for Life

Two years ago I got on Classmates.com and looked up an old childhood friend. Never thinking that I would find her after sending a message, my (you've got mail ) button rang on my computer. My dear friend Betsy from 4th grade was answering me. I was so excited I could hardly answer back with my shaking hands. We planned a phone call and we talked like two magpies. She told me she was in touch with a third friend, Sherry and she called her in another part of the country to say that I had been found. Apparently they were looking for me over the years. I was the one who was lost and did not know it!

We immediately started planning a reunion. They came to see me the first year. I picked them up at the airport . I do not think I slept the night before. I was so excited! They had been getting together over the years but I had not seen them in 26 years. I remember waiting at the airport gate wondering if Iwould recognize them. More importantly, would they recognize me?
I stood waiting for such a long time anxiously hoping to see a familiar face. All of a sudden I see arms waving above the crowd. And there were my two best friends from childhood. They had not changed. Their walks and talk and laughs were everything I remembered from 26 years ago.
After alot of hugging, crying and laughing, all at the same time, we spent three wonderful days together. We needed to catch up on alot of life that we had experienced over the years.

We have since met again last summer for another round of girl talk and sharing adult life. Now that has turned into three grandmothers getting together sharing what their grandchildren mean in our lives.

I believe that if you have been fortunate enough to still have your childhood friends in your life, then you are indeed a very blessed person. Stay in touch and connected with your friends since they are the only ones who knew you when...

In two short years we have packed decades of life experiences talking and sharing. Some have been happy, some sad but all of our stories have been so much more enriched since I have found Betsy and Sherry. I hope we can continue our visit time this summer.

4 comments:

  1. What fun! Amazingly via my blog I have been able to talk to friends more now than when they lived less than thirty minutes away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it's me Willis. I like it, you doing good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    It is Erin Rees, friend of Carly and Wes. I am so glad to see you on here. See me at Rees' Pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tagged you for a game off my blog, see it for the rules!! http://mccoymusings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete