Friday, January 23, 2009

Focusing On Ellie Mae

The gold in my life has nothing to do with fine jewelry or gold bars of precious metal. It is a four legged golden retreiver. She came into my life in 2001 (one month after 911). Ellie Mae is my ever faithful golden retreiver service dog. I have multiple sclerosis, a disease of the central nervous system that (in my case) causes difficulty in walking long distances. She was trained to walk beside me at my gait and to be a stablizing force in my life, in more ways than one. When I first received Ellie Mae she became important to me for walking. Yet the longer I have had her she has become a part of my life that is a constant. She is faithful when I need her and faithful when I think I can do things on my own. She never changes unlike humans. Did you know that a dog is the one animal that totally depends on her master to take care of her every need? She only asks that you treat her like one of the family

At almost 9 years old now, Ellie has some issues with arthritis and getting around. She has become more content to lay around and watch me take off in a new power chair that I received in the fall for distance traveling. She looks at me as if to say "Mom if it is ok, I will just wait here for you til you get back". She knows I will return.

Dogs add so much to the human life span. We all need to feel needed. When children grow up and leave the nest, as is the way it should happen, a dog will remain faithful to the one who has cared for her. My sister gave me a painting when I got Ellie Mae. It is a picture of a golden in a down position. The quote says "my goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am." Oh I hope that is true.

2 comments:

  1. Not only is she the gold in your life, you're the gold in hers. Such a sweet dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam loves to see Ellie and Lynn enjoyed having her at the kindergarten!!

    ReplyDelete