Monday, February 2, 2009

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Friday was one of those picture-perfect days. The sky was crystal blue and the temperature was warm, almost causing spring fever. I headed out that morning to the grocery store actually looking forward to the chore since I was planning company and grandchildren visits over the weekend. I left my neighborhood enjoying my selection of music on the CD player. On the journey there I passed green, mowed lawn along the side of the road. Unfortunately, I also passed a group of young women in green and white prison uniforms with bags of garbage and sticks that were picking up the roadside litter. Now I have seen this sight before and always felt bad, but on this day I really stopped to ponder the situation.

These young women looked no older than 20 or 30 years of age, if that old. One was a blond with a ponytail that swung from side to side as she worked. Another was a cute short-hairedgirl that looked like she could have been a college cheerleader. However, somewhere along the way their life went in the wrong direction. Why? Did they not have have a Mom who they looked up to? Did they have a Dad who provided for their upbringing? Were they going to school and got into the wrong crowd? Did they have anyone who told them that they were loved or were special?

I know that there are so many different reasons why someone goes down the wrong road in life.
Have you ever thought how you are not out there picking up litter? We all have a free will and an option to do right or wrong.

We need to teach the next generation to love, care and look out for one another. Teach our children the rights of all people. Kindness to all people. Respect for all people. Because we need to remember "there, but for the grace of God, go I."

No comments:

Post a Comment