Thursday, February 26, 2009

It IsTough Being A Gammy

Just got back from keeping my grandson, while my daughter took her daughter to parents-day at ballet class. After a peaceful relaxing afternoon with Jack and the Wiggles, I hear the car pull in the garage and in storms Carly and Jordan Ann both in tears. Somehow I knew not to say anything until she volunteered. They both disappeared into the bedroom and I heard JordanAnn getting a spanking and a long silence...talking I am sure. At least I was hoping. Sure enough they both reappeared after a change of clothes. All this time Jack and I are laying low not knowing the full circumstance of this situation. Carly walked me to my car and told me that Jordan Ann refused to perform at the recital, but that was not why she was getting a spanking. It was the drama that had occured as she left the grand hall while JA went screaming , wailing and gnashing of teeth.

My daughter does a very good job of disciplining, much more patient than I ever was. She sees the problem and removes herself and the guilty child away from the scene of the crime and then deals with it. They both came out of the battle-zone happy and speaking kindly to one another.
Neither harboring any left-over anger. That was always difficult for me.

It is very hard to be a parent today in this society we find ourselves in. I am glad my time for heavy duty discipline is over but my heart goes out to the y oung parents of today. If parents do not discourage bad behavior at a young age this world will continue on a downward spiral of a generation who is turning out spoiled, unruly and disrespectful . My grandchildren deserve a better future than this. Difficult to hear, maybe , but spanking correctly is God ordained.

2 comments:

  1. whoa, thanks mom. you make me feel like i'm doing pretty good. it must be the example that was set for me...

    i love you. more than you'll ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this inner voice saying that if I can nip the "attitude" in the bud now, that those adolescent years won't be as bad!

    ReplyDelete