Saturday, February 7, 2009

It's All In The Game

Several years ago my parents started playing a game called "Rummy Cue". They talked about it constantly and wanted to teach the game to the family. Well eventually it caught on and became the game of choice whenever any of us got together. My parents played with their friends and neighbors. It would not be unusual to be summoned to their home on the weekends to be fed and cornered in their dining room after a quick meal to set up the table for an evening of serious competition.

After my Dad died, my Mom had two good friends rally around her. Their friendship became a major help to my Mom as she worked through her grief. That was in 2004 and to this day the 3 muskateers continue to keep a running tally of the games that they play. I have joined them on many occasions and are constantly learning from three 80-plus year olds how to win at rummy cue. Now they do not lose many games and I feel so privileged when I beat them.

I played with the game sharks yesterday and started out very well, only to see my lead go up in smoke as the day went by. You would think that they would give a late bloomer some slack but these ladies are out for blood , which is usually mine. Oh well, when I grow up, I want to be just like them.

2 comments:

  1. What fun!! I know they enjoy having some "fresh blood" to play with as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case you're inspiring all your readers to go out and buy the game, it's called Rummikub! buh buh, with a B! Maybe if you start saying it right, you'll start winning. Just a thought.

    All joking aside, I love when I get invited to join in. The thinking and strategizing is what keeps us young, right?

    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete