Monday, March 9, 2009

The Sweet Light of Spring

Well the time has changed..so glad. More daylight at suppertime. I have always loved the light hours that remain after the nightime meal. When I was a kid it was the chance for more outside time before bed. A little more bike riding time or finishing a hopscotch marathon. As I got older it allowed more time sitting on the hoods of boyfriends cars( at least until parents ruined that magic moment with "Patty, you need to come in and do the dishes") That was what younger sisters were born for.

As I became a married adult, I can remember many evenings sitting out on the stoop of our first apartment, or in the yard on lawn chairs to catch the last hours of a warm spring day.

As children came the begging to stay outside after supper ("just a little longer") was granted to have some special quiet time with my husband to talk over the day or plan the next one.

Now at this time in my life, it is sweet to see daylight still as I ponder the events or blessings of the day as the sun sets. Isn't it amazing how we take the time in our mature years to notice our surroundings and marvel at God's handy-work? I am anxiously awaiting my dafodils to bloom.
As I do, I know He will bless me with some unexpected surprises in the garden besides weeds.

So go outside tonight, sit and listen. You will hear some crickets and maybe a frog, but most of all the dusk that comes now is an hour later than it was last week. Happy Spring!!!

1 comment:

  1. i'm excited about the extra hour of daylight after suppertime, too. i remember how much i enjoyed it last year when wes was able to take the kids out to play. glad it's back!

    happy spring!

    ReplyDelete