Monday, June 15, 2009

Family Favorite

Cooking is my last priority since all my children are grown and gone. But there are always some easy and good favorites that are more like comfort foods (yet soooo easy). One of mine is spiced applesauce. Literally, it is one jar of your favorite applesauce and a handful of red hots ( the little red candies that taste like cinnamon). Melt together in a sauce pan on medium low and watch it, Keep stirring til melted and place in a pretty dish. Serve warm with a meal which is delicious on a cold winter night. Or eat cold out of the refrigerator with a breakfast muffin on your patio in the summer. Either way it is a satisfying addition to a ho-hum menu.

I always pulled it out of my culinary cabinet when we had a "snick-snack-snupper" as I called my meal that was a little less than gourmet, which was often.

With kids you can make up a name for your concoctions and they take it as is with no questions asked until they grow up and enter a restaurant and that dish is nowhere to be found on the menu.

Which brings me to an idea of having a restaurant where it is only dishes made up and named by Moms offered. Someone needs to take that on. I would eat there!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds really good esp on a cold night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, you always seem to have such a nice warming way of explaining things rather it be a recipe or an event in your or your children's lives. This is the "Patty" that I remember so well from MRHS and always will! I so enjoy your wonderful blogs..Jackie

    ReplyDelete