Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Faithful One


As you may know this about me, I have a beautiful service dog. Ellie Mae is nine years old and one of the sweetest dogs in the whole world.


When I received her from Canine Assistants one month after 9/11, her service to me was for balance as I walked. Unfortunately my condition has gotten worse and my needs have changed slightly. However she remains my constant companion. Now her needs have become more evident. She has had times when it is difficult for her to get up from a down position. Arthritis plagues us both.


Sometimes it is easy to take things for granted, as how well she behaves when taking her out to a restaurant. She was taught to lay down and stay until I tell her differently. She has been known to be down for two hours at a time. We have a bell at the back door that she "noses" to go out. Now I am very mindful of that sound, but at times I tell her to "wait" until it is convenient for me. She very patiently lays down and does just that.


As we both continue to age, we will always be there for each other. I hear her now. She is growling in her sleep. She is having a nightmare! The big bad wolf is after her. I need to go wake my baby up and tell her "it is just a dream", Mom is here."

2 comments:

  1. that sweet dog. she is one of the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo Hoo!! Glad you are back, everyone needs a break now and then!! Sam loves Ellie, he talks about her sometimes when we see a dog that resembles her.

    ReplyDelete