Monday, July 13, 2009

The Dog Days of Summer


Yes, well these days of summer have not been Ellie Mae's finest. I know she would agree. Her bo's bo's, as I talked about in an earlier blog (July 3), have gotten infected and she actually has a staph infection. She has had her tail wrapped up this week but after another trip to the vet it is time to let some air get to it. This demands constant attention to her where abouts. At bedtime she wears an Elizabethan collar. (She hates this). She looks at me with such disgust each night. But I have learned what tough love is.

Her meds consist of nine strong antibiotic pills a day. Two pain pills a day. Three sedative pills a day for her, not me and watching her every move that she does not scratch, gnaw, bite or rub the sore areas. Basically we are back to umbilical cord training that we learned at Canine Assistants many years ago.

This has been quite a process, but worth every minute. When she looks up at me and still hands me her paw, it certainly makes it all worthwhile. Maybe she needs some chicken soup. Not really, but an extra Milkbone would be nice.

1 comment:

  1. we'll say the milkbones are chicken-flavored. i bet she's enjoying the umbilical cord training, too. have you taught her to knit yet?

    ReplyDelete